The Bar Stitch is a very quick and easy crochet stitch to learn. It only uses a couple of stitches and creates a very beautiful pattern. This would work well for a baby blanket, wash cloth or variety of garments. Below you will find the written directions, a chart and an image to pin to your Pinterest board. Enjoy!
Single Crochet: sc
Front Post double crochet: FPdc – work 1 dc around stem of stitch 2 rows below, inserting hook from right to left to draw up loops. You will skip the st behind this one, as it was just worked 2 rows below.
Directions for the Bar Stitch
Multiple of 3 sts +3
Note: Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- Ch in increments of 3 to your desired length, then ch 3 more; work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and 1 sc in each ch across, turn.
- Ch 1, work 1 sc across, turn.
- Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 2 sc, * work 1 FPdc around next sc 2 rows below, work 1 sc in each of next 2 sc (being sure to skip the st behind the FPdc). Rep from * to end, turn
- Ch 1, work 1 sc across
- Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the next 2 sc, *1 FPdc around stem of FPdc in 2 rows below, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts; rep from * across.
- Repeat rows 4 & 5 until desired length, ending with a row 4.
If you would like a printable pdf, here is the file to download:
I do hope you enjoy this stitch and that it finds a nice little home in your stitch dictionary. Thank you for joining me on our yarny adventures!
💕 Stacy J