The Merry Mat Mug Rug is a quick and easy gift to make for someone, or to gift to yourself. There is an option for making the Merry Mat without fringe, as well. The written pattern can be used with the video tutorial on the “Handmade by Stacy J” YouTube channel.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing through that link, you allow the companies that I’m affiliated with to pay me a small commission without costing you a penny more. This allows me to continue making free content. Thank you for your support!
Written in US Terms
K – Knit
P – Purl
Sl2 – Slip 2 stitches off, one at a time, purl wise
- KnitPicks Straight Knitting needles, size 6 (4.00 mm)
- Caron Simply Soft (100% Acrylic, Medium 4 weight in colors:
- Color A: Autumn Red – 30 yards; Color B: White – 16 yards
- Crochet hook – 4mm or size G (For helping with fringe)
13 rows x 10 sts: 2” in Stockinette Stitch
• When slipping stitches with RS facing, yarn will be held at the back; when slipping stitches with WS facing, yarn will be held at the front; You can adapt the pattern to be wider by adding stitches in increments of 4 and taller by doing more repeats of the pattern.
Directions for the Merry Mat Mug Rug
Color A: Cast on 36
Color A: Knit one row
1. (RS) Color A: Knit
2. (WS) Color A: K2, p to last 2 sts, k2
3. Color B: K5, *sl2 wyib, k2; rep * to last 3 sts, k3
4. Color B: K2, P3, *sl2 wyif, p2; rep * to last 3 sts, p1, k2
5. Color A: Knit
6. Color A: K2, p to last 2 sts, k2
7. Color B: K3, *sl2 wyib, k2; rep * to last st, k1
8. Color B: K2, p1 *sl2 wyif, p2; rep to last 5 sts, sl2 wyif, p1, k2
Rep Pattern rows 1-8 three more times
Rep Pattern rows 1-6 once more
Knit 2 rows
Bind off knit wise
Fringe: Cut 18 – 6” pieces of color B & 20 – 6” pieces of color A; Add as fringe using one strand to short edge of mug rug in coordinating rows. Then, trim fringe for consistent length.
Without Fringe: Pick up stitches along short edge (1 st per row) and knit 2 rows;
Bind off knitwise and do the same for the other side.
Block and enjoy with your favorite snack and drink!
I’d love to see your Merry Mat – please take pictures, tag me on social media with #handmadebystacyj and link to the Ravelry project page!
You are welcome to gift and / or sell your finished items. If you are selling them, I simply ask that you credit Handmade by Stacy J as the designer and purchase the ad-free pdf.
This pattern is copyright 2020 Handmade by Stacy J. Please do not duplicate or copy any portion of this pattern, as well as photographs. You are encouraged to share images of your final product and are allowed to sell final products; If you sell your final product, I just ask that you please purchase the ad-free pdf and credit Handmade by Stacy J as the designer. Thank you!