Today I am so excited to share with you the FREE crochet pattern for the Making Waves Placemat!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As an affiliate, when you purchase through my links, you allow the company to pay me a small commission without costing you a penny more, which allows me to continue making free content.
About the Making Waves Placemat
The Making Waves Placemat was designed for the 2023 “Cozy at Home” Crochet along with CAL Central as an accompanying pattern to the Table Runner. This crochet along’s theme was to make something cozy and comfy for your home, but also included home decor and utilitarian projects.
Each week from January 9, 2023 – March 13, 2023 a different designer released a new, never before released free crochet pattern. Well, this is my contribution! When I placed the entire set on my table to photograph, my hubby even came up to me and said, “Wow! The table looks fantastic!” So, it looks like I’ll be completing this set of placemats and some more mug rugs for our table now 🙂
If you’d like to see the free patterns for the table runner and the mug rug, please click on the image below.
About the yarn
The yarn used is the Comfy Cotton Blend from Lion Brand. This is a DK / #3 light weight yarn. It offers lots of drape, is soft to use and offers lots of yardage in one skein.
This free crochet pattern is an EASY project. Therefore, a beginner could try this out, too. This pattern has been tested – thank you to all my lovely testers!
- Lion Brand Comfy Cotton Blend Yarn (50% Cotton / 50% Polyester; 392 yds / 358 m; 7 oz / 200g; DK / #3 Light weight) – 160 yds / 146 m in color “Chai Latte” (Main color) and 151 yds / 138 m in color “Whipped Cream” (Contrast color)(If you need to shop online, here is LoveCrafts link and here is my affiliate link to Lion Brand)
- US G / 4 mm crochet hook (My favorite is Furls!)
- 14 smaller wood beads for decorative fringe (optional)
- Tapestry needle
- Measuring tape
- 19.5” x 12.5” / 48 cm x 31.75 cm without fringe
- 23.5” x 12.5” / 60 cm x 31.75 cm with fringe
Pattern for gauge is included below, right before the pattern directions (Gauge isn’t critical with this project, but will affect yarn usage)
Stitches & Abbreviations Used
(Pattern is written in US terms):
- CC: Contrast color
- Ch(s): Chain(s)
- Dc: Double crochet
- Ea: Each
- Fpdc: Front post double crochet – Yarn over, insert hook from front to back around post indicated, yarn over and draw up a loop, (yarn over and draw through 2 loops) twice
- MC: Main color
- Rep: Repeat
- Sk: Skip
- Sp: Space
- St(s): Stitch(es)
- Tch: Turning chain
- When shopping for beads, take 2 pieces of yarn with you to the store to determine if the yarn will fit through the bead. You want it to fit through with ease, but you don’t want the hole of the bead to be too large, as it might slide over the knot. Unfortunately, when I purchased my beads, they didn’t have a specific measurement, so I used my best judgment.
- To make your placemat wider or thinner, add or subtract in increments of 8.
- Do not cut the yarn at the end of each row. Instead, carry it along with your work.
- For the beginning chain, chain loosely or go up a hook size.
(Gauge is not critical in this project, but will affect yarn usage)
- With US G / 4mm crochet hook, loosely ch 21
- Work row 1 of pattern
- Work row 2 of pattern four times
- Gauge swatch should measure 4” / 10 cm wide x 2 7/8” / 7.3 cm tall from the top of a shell to the bottom of the piece.
Directions for Making Waves Placemat:
Using US G / 4mm crochet hook and CC, loosely chain 61
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (3 skipped chs count as dc) and in next ch, *sk next 2 chs, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch, sk next 2 chs, 1 dc in ea of next 3 chs; rep * across, turn. Stitch count: 7 (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) clusters, 24 dc
Row 2 (Pattern repeat): Ch 2, work fpdc around ea of next 2 dc posts, sk 2 dc, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch-1 sp, *sk next 2 dc, work fpdc around ea of next 3 dc , sk next 2 dc, work (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch-1 sp; rep * to last 5 sts, sk next 2 dc, work fpdc around next 2 dc, dc in top of tch, turn. Stitch count: 7 (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) clusters, 22 fpdc, 1 dc, 1 ch-2
Rep row 2 alternating colors (do not cut yarn) for each row until the piece measures 19” / 48.3 cm or your desired length, ending with two final rows of CC.
Fasten off. Weave in ends and block prior to adding fringe and the beads.
Weave in ends and block prior to adding the beads.
- Note: To make feeding the yarn through the bead easier, use a tapestry needle
- Using MC, cut 28 strands of 10” / 25.4 cm length for fringe
- Attach 2 strands to each “point” on the short ends of the placemat
- Using the 2 strands at each “point”, strand one bead and secure with a knot
- Trim fringe ends evenly to 2” / 5 cm
Please take pictures and tag me at #handmadebystacyj and @handmadebystacyj
This free crochet pattern is copyright 2023 Handmade by Stacy J. Please do not duplicate or copy any portion of this pattern, as well as photographs. You are encouraged to share images of your final product and are allowed to sell final products; If you sell your final product, I just ask that you please purchase the ad-free pdf and credit Handmade by Stacy J as the designer. Thank you!