Today I am so excited to share with you the FREE crochet pattern for the Birthday Sorbet Baby Blanket!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As an affiliate, when you purchase through my links, you allow the company to pay me a small commission without costing you a penny more, which allows me to continue making free content.
About the Birthday Sorbet Baby Blanket
The Birthday Sorbet Baby Blanket was inspired by a friend of mine that requested a fun, happy blanket for a new baby. He gave me complete creative freedom to create whatever called to me. The idea of a colorful C2C blanket with some added texture was all I could think about. So, the Birthday Sorbet Baby Blanket was born!
My testers rated this pattern as “Easy”, making it the perfect project to make as you watch your favorite program or listen to your favorite podcast.
On a side note, I want to extend a big “Thank You!” to all of my testers that helped with this design!
About the yarn
The yarn used was provided to me from Mary Maxim. It’s the Mary Maxim “Mellowspun DK”. This is a DK / #3 light weight yarn that is 100% acrylic. It works up beautifully, is machine washable and there are LOTS of colors to choose from.
- Mary Maxim Mellowspun DK: 100% Acrylic; 3.5 oz / 100 g; 284 yd / 260 m; #3 Lightweight / DK (or any other #3 Lightweight / DK yarn) total of 2071 yds / 1894 m (1156 yds of MC / 915 yds of CC)
- Main Color (MC): Cream: 1156 yds / 1057 m
- CC1 – Pink: 116 yds / 106 m
- CC2 – Stream: 79 yds / 72 m
- CC3 – Mauve: 31 yds / 28 m
- CC4 – Toasted Almond: 39 yds / 36 m
- CC5 – Chamomile: 97 yds / 89 m
- CC6 – Dusty Peach: 51 yds / 47 m
- CC7 – Orchid: 119 yds / 109 m
- CC8 – Aquamarine: 132 yds / 121 m
- CC9 – Juniper: 79 yds / 72 m
- CC10 – Spring Green: 172 yds / 157 m
- US G / 4 mm crochet hook (My favorite is Furls!)
- Locking stitch marker or scrap piece of yarn for marking stitches (optional)
- Tapestry needle
- Body (C2C portion): 34” x 34” / 86 cm x 86 cm
- Final Size: 40” x 40” / 102 cm x 102 cm
C2C pattern 6 blocks x 6 blocks: 4.25” / 10.8 cm (Gauge isn’t critical in this project, but will affect yarn usage)
Stitches & Abbreviations Used
(Pattern is written in US terms):
- 3dc Cluster: Yo, insert hook in indicated st, yo, draw through 2 loops, yo, insert hook in same st, yo, draw through 2 loops, yo, insert hook in same st, yo, draw through 2 loops, yo, draw through all 4 loops left on hook; leaving st behind cluster unworked
- Bpdc: Back post double crochet – Yo and insert hook from back to front around post of indicated stitch, yo and draw yarn around post of st, yo and draw through two loops, yo and draw through remaining 2 loops
- C2C: Corner to corner
- Ch(s): Chain(s)
- Dc: Double crochet
- Fpdc: Front post double crochet – Yo and insert hook from front to back around post of indicated stitch, yo and draw yarn around post of st, yo and draw through two loops, yo and draw through remaining 2 loops; leaving the st behind unworked
- Hdc: Half double crochet
- Pop: Popcorn – 5 dc in same st, pull out hook and insert from front to back under top 2 loops of first dc, insert hook in dropped loop and pull through stitch, ch 1 to close stitch
- Rep: Repeat
- RS: Right Side
- Sc: Single crochet
- Sl st: Slip Stitch
- Sp: Space
- St(s): Stitch(es)
- Standing hdc: Standing half double crochet – With slip knot on hook, yo, insert hook in sp indicated, yo, draw through all 3 loops on hook
- Standing sc: Standing single crochet – With slip knot on hook, insert hook in sp indicated, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook
- WS: Wrong side
- Yo: Yarn over
Directions for Body of Birthday Sorbet Baby Blanket:
- Before beginning your blanket, please print a chart at the end of the pattern to help with color placement – there is a color chart available, as well as a greyscale chart that you can use to customize your own color choices.
- Total amount of C2C blocks on each side is 45; You can easily adjust the size by adding or subtracting more rows. However, yarn quantities will vary, as will the placement of some border stitches.
- An easy way to help remember placement is that the CC rows always contain popcorns and the MC rows are only C2C
Row 1: With MC, ch 6, in 4th ch from hook work 1 dc, 1 dc in ea of remaining 2 chs
Ch 6, work 1 dc in 4th ch from hook and remaining 2 chs, sl st in ch-3 sp from previous block, ch 3, work 3 dc in ch-3 sp
Rows 3 & 4: Repeat row 2 two more times
Row 5: Popcorn Row: Changing to designated CC, Ch 6, work 1 dc in 4th ch from hook and remaining 2 chs, *sl st in ch-3 sp from previous block, ch 3, work 1 dc, 1 pop, 1 dc in ch-3 sp; rep * to the last block; in the last block, do not work popcorn, instead work 3 dc in ch-sp.
Continue repeating rows 2-5 in the sequence of repeating rows 2-4 in MC, 1 row repeat of row 5 in CC.
When you complete your 45th row (a popcorn row) you’ll begin decreasing (this is the middle of the blanket).
To see step by step photos of how to work a C2C increase, please check out the images below.
- Turn, then begin with sl st in each of the next 3 dc, sl st in ch-3 sp, ch 3, work 3 dc in ch-3 sp, sl st in next blocks ch-3 sp; proceed to end of row by working C2C pattern (sl st in ch-3 sp from previous block, ch 3, work 3 dc in ch-3 sp), ending with sl st in last ch-3 sp (When changing colors, do so after completing 3 sl sts over the beg 3 dc)
- Repeat row 1 of C2C Decrease until you have one block left working in the sequence of 3 rows in MC, 1 pop row in CC; your final 4 rows will all be using MC and not incorporating the pop st (as in the beg rows of blanket pattern)
To see step by step photos of how to work the C2C decrease, please view the images below.
- Do not turn; RS will always be facing
- There will always be a total of four ch-2 sps and those are not included in the stitch count.
Directions for Birthday Sorbet Border
- With RS facing and MC, join with standing sc in any corner and work 2 more sc in the same c2c block. Working around Blanket, work 3 sc in each block, (ch2 , then 3 more sc in each corner); end with ch 2 and sl st in top of first standing sc, fasten off. Each side: 135 sc
- With CC2, join with standing hdc in any corner. Work 1 hdc in each st around, working (1 hdc, ch 2, 1 hdc) in each corner ch sp; end with (1hdc, ch 2) in final ch sp and join with sl st to first standing hdc, fasten off. Each side: 137 hdc
- With MC, join in any corner ch sp a standing hdc, work 1 bpdc around each post from row 2, working (1 hdc, ch 2, 1 hdc) in each corner; end with (1 hdc, ch 2) in last corner and join with sl st to top of beginning hdc; fasten off. Each side: 137 bpdc, 2 hdc
- (Note: make sure that your slip stitches are not too tight, otherwise they may pull your work and be difficult to work into on the next row). With CC1, join in any corner ch sp with standing sc, [work 1 sl st in ea of next 3 sts, *work 1 3-dc cluster st in top of next st 2 rows below, 1 sl st in ea of next 5 sts; rep * until 4 sts rem to corner sp , work 1 3-dc cluster, 1 sl st in ea of next 3 sts, (1 sc, ch2, 1 sc) in corner ch sp]; Rep [ ] 3 more times ending in last corner ch sp with (sc, ch2, join with sl st to top of standing sc). fasten off. Each side: 23 clusters, 2 sc, 116 sl st
- With RS facing and MC, join with standing hdc in any corner ch sp, *work 1 hdc in each sl st and 1 fpdc around each 3dc cluster; work (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in each corner ; rep * around ending with ( hdc, ch 2) join with sl st in top of first standing hdc in last corner ch sp, fasten off. Each side: 120 hdc, 23 fpdc
- With CC10, join with standing hdc in any corner ch sp, *work I hdc in each st and (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in each corner sp; rep * around. End with (hdc, ch 2) in last ch sp, join with sl st to top of first standing hdc, fasten off. Each side: 145 hdc
- With MC, rep row 3. Each side:145 bpdc, 2 hdc
- This is essentially a repeat of row 4; your 3dc clusters will be centered above the two 3dc clusters made in row 4. With CC7, join with standing sc in any corner space. [Work 1 sl st in ea of the next 4 sts, *work a 3dc cluster in the stitch 2 rows below (where the color ridge is formed), 1 sl st in ea of the next 5 st; rep * across until 5 sts rem to corner, work 1 3dc cluster, 4 sl st, then work (sc, ch 2, sc) in corner]; rep [ ] 3 more times ending with sc, ch2, join to top of standing sc with sl st, fasten off. Each side: 25 clusters, 2 sc, 122 sl st
- With MC, rep row 5. Each side: 126 hdc, 25 fpdc
- With CC5, rep row 6. Each side: 153 hdc
- With CC8, rep row 6. Each side: 155 hdc
- Weave in your ends, block and enjoy!
Here are the free charts to help with your color placement
Please take pictures and tag me at #handmadebystacyj and @handmadebystacyj
This free crochet pattern is copyright 2023 Handmade by Stacy J. Please do not duplicate or copy any portion of this pattern, as well as photographs. You are encouraged to share images of your final product and are allowed to sell final products; If you sell your final product, I just ask that you please purchase the ad-free pdf and credit Handmade by Stacy J as the designer. Thank you!