This Valentine’s Cup Cozy works up in almost no time and requires very little yarn. If you’re looking for a quick and easy gift to make for Valentine’s Day, this might be the perfect gift. It’s a great scrap project or something that would be fun to make for your mom, girlfriend, child’s teacher, whoever you think would enjoy a Valentine’s cup cozy!
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this pattern post. By purchasing through those links, you allow the companies to pay me a small commission without costing you a penny more. Thank you for your support!
The stitch pattern itself is pretty easy, but I’ve made a video tutorial for the heart motif and you can access that by clicking the box above or clicking HERE.
Gauge isn’t super important with this piece, since you can measure as you go.
- Dk (#3) yarn: White (about 60 yards); Purple (20 yards) – 740 yds / 677 m
- Size US D / 3.25 mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
Stitches / Abbreviations used:
Pattern is written in US terms
Single Crochet (sc)
Half Double Crochet (hdc)
Single Crochet 2 Together (sc2tog)
Crab Stitch: work sc in stitch to the right instead of the left (this creates a rope looking effect)
- Always end with sc when making cozy
- Ch 2 at beg counts as (sc, ch 1)
- You can also make this as a bookmark by stopping at Cozy row 3 when you get to the length that you like, then work Row 9 for the border.
- Width can easily be adjusted by adding in increments of 2 (just make sure that your starting ch is an odd number)
Directions for Valentine’s Cup Cozy:
(see video tutorial above or written directions at this link)
1. With White, ch 13
2. Insert hook in third ch from hook, *sc, ch 1; rep * across, ending with sc in last ch; turn
3. Rep row 2 until Cozy wraps around your favorite cup
4. Ch 1, sc2tog with first sc and ch sp, sc across until only ch sp and last sc remain, sc2tog, turn
5. Rep row 4 two more times
6. Ch 1, sc across
7. Ch 7, sc in last st, turn
8. Ch 1, work 1 hdc in first st one row below (this helps to make a smooth look in the transition rows), work 7 sc in ch sp, 1 hdc in last st one row below; fasten off and weave in ends.
9. With Contrasting Color, join with sl st in beginning corner with RS facing, ch 1, work Crab Stitch around the Cozy; join with sl st to first st; fasten off and weave in ends
10. Sew heart on far end from button loop sewing only in the center so that heart works like a button.
11. Wrap and secure around your cup and enjoy your Cozy!!
This pattern is copyright 2020 Handmade by Stacy J. Please do not duplicate or copy any portion of this pattern, as well as photographs. You are encouraged to share images of your final product and are allowed to sell final products. I just ask that if you sell your final product, please credit Handmade by Stacy J as the designer. Thank you for your support!