I’m so excited to be sharing with you my latest design: The Squishtastic Cowl!! The name pretty much sums up the texture from this cuddly cowl. It’s crocheted using the Ladders stitch with Red Heart Yarn’s “Unforgettable” yarn and it’s oh-so-squishy!
The Squishtastic Cowl pattern was inspired while making the tutorial for the Ladders stitch and I just couldn’t help myself – it was calling out to be a cowl! This cowl is pretty generously sized, so it could be also be considered a smaller infinity scarf. The pattern is written for adding buttons, but you can choose to simply seam the two edges together if you prefer not to use the buttons.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this pattern post. By purchasing through those links, you allow the companies to pay me a small commission without costing you a penny more. Thank you for your support!
Red Heart’s “Unforgettable” yarn was just begging to be used for this project; The soft hues of the color palette were calling to me, as well as the softness of the yarn. Plus, it’s a worsted weight (#4) yarn, so the project works up quickly; especially with a size I crochet hook!
The buttons allow for multiple ways to wear the Squishtastic Cowl. You can wear it as it’s made, or you can twist it (once, twice or more) to fit.
The stitch pattern itself is pretty easy, but I’ve made a video tutorial for the stitch and you can access that by scrolling above or clicking HERE. I found the yarn at Michaels a little while back and it appears that they are still carrying it. However, if you prefer to use something else or order online, I’ll have my affiliate link on the materials section for Mary Maxim (they have a great selection of yarns!).
Now, let’s get Squishtastic!
If you prefer an ad free pdf, you can click here to purchase off of Ravelry or to add it to your favorites or que 🙂
Most yarn labels have the gauge listed for single crochet, but I made a gauge swatch using double crochet.
The yarn label on the “Unforgettable” yarn lists a 4″ x 4″ / 10 cm x 10 cm swatch using single crochet and a J hook as 15 stitches x 18 rows. With the double crochet swatch that I created, I used the I / 5.5 mm hook and worked up 15 stitches x 8 rows to the 4″ x 4″ / 10 cm x 10 cm measurement.
Gauge isn’t super important with this piece. As long as you have enough yarn to finish the project and you’re happy with the drape, you’ll be good to go.
- Red Heart “Unforgettable” yarn (3.5 oz / 100g; 270 yds / 246 m; 100% Acrylic; Medium / Worsted weight #4) in color “Meadow” – 740 yds / 677 m
- Size US I / 5.5 mm crochet hook
- 6 – 1″ / 25 mm buttons
- Tapestry needle
- Sewing needle
48″ x 12″ / 122 cm x 30.5 cm Flat & blocked
Stitches / Abbreviations used:
Pattern is written in US terms
BPDC: Back post double crochet
Dc: Double crochet
Fdc: Foundation double crochet
FPDC: Front post double crochet
Hdc: Half double crochet
RS: Right side
St (s): Stich (es)
WS: Wrong side
- Ch 2 at beginning of ea row does not count as hdc
- Cowl can be make wider or narrower by adding or subtracting in increments of 8
- When working last 3 hdc, sk the last hdc and work final hdc in top of ch-2
- If you check out the video tutorial, you’ll notice that I don’t work beginning and ending dc on the rows; instead I use hdc – I found that this gives a more even edge
Directions for Squishtastic Cowl:
- Work 50 Fdc
- RS: Ch 2, turn (does not count as hdc here and throughout); 1 hdc in first st and in ea of the next 2 sts, 1 FPDC around ea of the next 4 sts, * 1 BPDC around ea of the next 4 sts, 1 FPDC around ea of the next 4 sts; rep * across to last 3 sts, 1 hdc in ea of 3 remaining sts. (6 hdc, 24 FPDC, 20 BPDC)
- WS: Ch 2, turn; 1 hdc in first st and in ea of the next 2 sts, work 1 BPDC around ea of the next 4 sts, * 1 FPDC around ea of the next 4 sts, 1 BPDC around ea of the next 4 sts; rep * to last 3 sts, 1 hdc in ea of 3 remaining sts. (6 hdc, 20 FPDC, 24 BPDC)
- Rep rows 2-3 until piece measures 41″ or desired length.
If you prefer not to use buttons, feel free to fasten off after completing a row 3 repeat and seam the ends together.
(If you prefer a tighter fit for the button, feel free to omit the ch-2 in the first row. Instead, ch 1 or omit the chain all together. You can also purchase larger buttons, as this is a little bit of a loose fit)
- RS: Ch 2, turn; 1 hdc in first st and in ea of next 2 sts, *1 FPDC around next st, ch 2, sk 2, 1 FPDC around next st, 1 BPDC around ea of next 4 sts; rep * across to last 3 sts, omitting the last 4 BPDC, 1 hdc in ea of remaining 3 sts. (6 hdc, 20 BPDC, 12 FPDC, 6 ch-2 spaces)
- WS: Ch 2, turn; 1 hdc in first st and in ea of next 2 sts, *1 BPDC around next st, 1 dc in ea of next 2 ch, 1 BPDC around next st, 1 FPDC around ea of next 4 sts; rep * across to last 3 sts, omitting the last FPDC section, 1 hdc in ea of remaining 3 sts. (6 hdc, 12 BPDC, 12 dc, 20 FPDC)
- Ch 2, turn; 1 hdc in first st and in ea of the next 2 sts, 1 FPDC around ea of the next 4 sts, * 1 BPDC around ea of the next 4 sts, 1 FPDC around ea of the next 4 sts; rep * across to last 3 sts, 1 hdc in ea of 3 remaining sts. (6 hdc, 24 FPDC, 20 BPDC)
- Ch 2, turn; 1 hdc in first st and in ea st across; Fasten off.
Above you’ll see three ways that I styled this lovely squishtastic cowl. The left side image has no twist, the middle image has one twist and the image on the right has two twists. Have fun with this and please tag me on social media @handmadebystacyj and #handmadebystacyj. I’d love to see how you wear yours!
This pattern is copyright 2022 Handmade by Stacy J. Please do not duplicate or copy any portion of this pattern, as well as photographs. You are encouraged to share images of your final product and are allowed to sell final products. I just ask that if you sell your final product, please purchase the ad-free pdf and please credit Handmade by Stacy J as the designer. Thank you for your support!
Subscribe on YouTube • Join me on Facebook • Follow on Instagram • Patterns on Ravelry • Inspiration on Pinterest
One response to “Squishtastic Cowl”
[…] on a fun and easy pattern, please check out my latest design (inspired by this stitch!) – the Squishtastic Cowl. It uses less than 3 skeins of Red Heart’s “Unforgettable” yarn and works up […]